Skip to main content

Introduction to my self-published book, Rambler's Road to the Law


People will tell you where they've gone
They'll tell you where to go
But till you get there yourself you never really know
– Joni Mitchell, “Amelia”
Long before the unemployment and economy crisis began, I never saw job security as a sure thing.  Maybe that’s because I began my legal career as a temp.  I grew accustomed to floating around, constantly experiencing different personalities and environments.  I somehow never entered a job envisioning it as my home for the next twenty or thirty years.  As a result of my rather nomadic career-style, I have had the benefit of learning from many different people. 


My working life began when I was about eleven.  I would mow our huge lawn and my dad would then give me $30.00 for an hour of riding lessons.  I also worked down at the local food Co-op to earn “work credit” to earn discounts off grocery purchases, as any customer could do.  The work credit could then be sold to others and this proved to be another source of riding lesson cash flow for me.

Through my combined experience in manual labor, food service, military and the law, I have experienced many different personalities, ways of thinking and doing things.  I believe these adventures eventually gave me a greater understanding of my legal responsibilities and overcoming the hurdles one must navigate on the way to becoming a lawyer.


Today of course, we have reached an economic climate which may cause job seekers to experience nomadic careers for a time, perhaps not by choice as I have.  I thought I was too good for certain jobs until a very wise friend of mine told me to get off my high horse.  I have always treasured his advice – though, as a result of his words I entered unfamiliar and scary worlds, I was also set free in many ways.

In writing this book, I hope to pass on some encouragement and lessons from my road to others seeking a legal career, whether that is as an attorney, paralegal, secretary, or file clerk.  In some positions, even attorneys may find that their responsibilities overlap with some of these legal staff.  You may start out as a support staff member, then move into another position, perhaps become an attorney.  Many of the concepts and experiences I share here relate to those of someone new to the legal industry or those of a young, inexperienced lawyer; however, there are techniques and nuggets which any legal professional or aspirant can take and integrate into their work, however it may suit them.  I share facts and hard-learned knowledge I wish I had known before embarking on my own voyage.

I also take into account the different circumstances law career seekers must face today, as opposed to what I experienced when I took my first paralegal job.  I recognize the harsh realities of the economy today and how it also impacts students’ ability to obtain educational loans.  Yet there are still many of us who experience that burning conviction that a legal career is our destiny.  Where there’s a will, there’s a way.  You may just need more patience.  Of course most of us like instant gratification.  But you are not likely to find that kind of success in law school. 

For anyone looking to become a lawyer these days, an extreme amount of due diligence is needed.  A prospective law student should ask herself questions such as these: What kind of legal career do I want?  Do I want to make it into a top law firm and if so, am I willing to do what it takes to make top grades and obtain entrance to Law Review and Moot Court?  Is the big law firm life-style what I really want?  What can I do to start building my résumé before and while I’m in law school?  Do I want to have my own business and if so, what resources do I have to launch a business?  If I don’t have any resources now, what can I do to get them?  Do I understand just how much law school will cost?  How will I pay for it and how will that affect my life after I’ve finished school?

Ask yourself these questions, and more – all the questions you can think of about how to reach your goal in law.  And do it!  Also, life and career goals can often be moving targets, so what your goal is today may not be the case in five years, a year, or even less.  Much depends on whether you take the employee or business owner route.  Our school system doesn’t always tell you this – but this is a very important issue for you to consider.  To do so, you must educate yourself until all of your questions are answered.

Want more?  Buy full book at https://www.createspace.com/3683662!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22 - Beck Diet Solution, Say “Oh Well” To Disappointment

Inigo Montoya: Who are you? Man in Black: No one of consequence. Inigo Montoya: I must know... Man in Black: Get used  to disappointment. Inigo Montoya: 'kay. The Princess Bride (20th Century Fox 1987) Just as Inigo shrugs off the disappointment of the Man in Black’s declining to reveal his identity and gets right back into the duel, so too must we shrug off those discouragements that go hand-in-hand with losing weight and keep truckin’ down the weight loss trail.   It’ll go easier for us if we do.  What if we just lay around bellyaching about how horrible it is that we can’t have that donut, can’t eat/drink exactly what everybody else does at parties, can’t just open the fridge and eat whenever we felt like it?  How much would we really accomplish that way?  Even if we do stick to our plans for a little while under that mindset, we’d be fighting an exhausting battle with ourselves every day and eventually give in.  Even the patience and resolve of saints would

Jimmy

he was just a simple Hoosier growing up amid the cornfields where everything made sense he loved the family cats and dogs in one picture he's looking down at his sweet dog while the others, unsmiling face the camera he would play ball all day sometimes Uncle Boob gave him his first fishing pole he'd sometimes leave a line floating while he went to church later he would discover golf read the whole Bible he didn't miss the snow when they came to Florida his life was simple a room full of books job on the golf course people lived and died there for the love of their game two weeks vacation every year when he'd do another golf and fish adventure then I came along never the woman he deserved watched his mom wished I could be like her beauty and kindness personified she did her duty to God her mind was to leave us before her body as it would be with her son never perfect but so full of love never to die in the middle of h

Hayride at Jersey Farm

The beginning of the first fall we have seen in four years. This time of year also makes me think of Joni Mitchell's song, "Urge for Going": I awoke today and found the frost perched on the town It hovered in a frozen sky, then it gobbled summer down When the sun turns traitor cold And all trees are shivering in a naked row I get the urge for going but I never seem to go I get the urge for going When the meadow grass is turning brown Summertime is falling down and winter is closing in I had me a man in summertime He had summer-colored skin And not another girl in town My darling's heart could win But when the leaves fell on the ground And bully winds came around pushed them face down in the snow He got the urge for going and I had to let him go He got the urge for going When the meadow grass was turning brown And summertime was falling down and winter was closing in Now the warriors of winter they gave a cold triumphant shout And all that s