Skip to main content

Day 15 - Beck Diet Solution, Monitor Your Eating

Smallest Forest - Allium Flora blank book/journal via Flickr
Today we start food journaling in earnest, and keep it that way as long as it takes for these skills to become automatic, for us to use them without even thinking about it.  Last night or maybe prior to that we wrote down and planned out our food for today.  Now we’ll add an important follow-through every time we finish eating: we’ll review our food plan and ask ourselves “Did I stick to my plan just now?  If not, what was different?”  If we didn’t eat something listed on the plan, cross it out.  If we ate extra of something on the plan, write that in and circle it.  If we ate something not on the plan at all, write that in and circle it as well. (Or if you keep your food plans in Word, use the Track Changes command which will monitor all additions/deletions for you)

This follow-through with our food plan is essential for a number of reasons:

1.      Every time we follow our food plan and eat what we’re supposed to, it’s another opportunity to give ourselves credit, which will in turn boost our confidence and reassure us that we can follow our plans;
2.      Even if we didn’t follow the plan to the letter, we can still praise ourselves for having written the food down.  It’s even more important to monitor our food when we stray so we can address the accompanying STs.  If we don’t they will just build.
3.      If we stray and have STs, we can talk back to them and write Response Cards.  Don’t beat yourself up and feel guilty.  Instead, say things along the lines of “Ok, I ate something unplanned..not the end of the world..I can get back on track this second, and it’s so great that I wrote everything down so I know where I stand.”
4.      When we monitor how well our food plan and reality correspond, we can troubleshoot and brainstorm as to how we can stick to our plan better if we stray.  If you get too hungry between meals, perhaps you should add something richer at mealtime.  Keep trying out different activities from the distraction chart to find the most effective ones.  And so on.

It’s common to have STs about this food-journaling and review process, such as “This is too much work,” “I can remember what I ate without writing it down,” “I’ll start writing things down after I’ve lost weight – I’ll be more motivated then,” etc.  Write a Response Card if necessary with HRs such as
·         “I won’t have to do this for the rest of my life.”
·         “How much time does it really take anyway – what’s the big deal?”
·         “I already know that not writing my food down doesn’t work – why not give the best option a try?”
·         “Chances are good that if I wait to do this, I never will."
·         “Most people are not able to remember everything they ate unless it’s written down – to make sure I’m accountable for everything I eat, I need to write it down.”

Maintaining this food-journaling and review process will make you more aware of what you’re doing every time you eat.  This awareness is a gold mine for credit, confidence, motivation, and improvement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 22 - Beck Diet Solution, Say “Oh Well” To Disappointment

Inigo Montoya: Who are you? Man in Black: No one of consequence. Inigo Montoya: I must know... Man in Black: Get used  to disappointment. Inigo Montoya: 'kay. The Princess Bride (20th Century Fox 1987) Just as Inigo shrugs off the disappointment of the Man in Black’s declining to reveal his identity and gets right back into the duel, so too must we shrug off those discouragements that go hand-in-hand with losing weight and keep truckin’ down the weight loss trail.   It’ll go easier for us if we do.  What if we just lay around bellyaching about how horrible it is that we can’t have that donut, can’t eat/drink exactly what everybody else does at parties, can’t just open the fridge and eat whenever we felt like it?  How much would we really accomplish that way?  Even if we do stick to our plans for a little while under that mindset, we’d be fighting an exhausting battle with ourselves every day and eventually give in.  Even the patience and resolve of saints would

Hayride at Jersey Farm

The beginning of the first fall we have seen in four years. This time of year also makes me think of Joni Mitchell's song, "Urge for Going": I awoke today and found the frost perched on the town It hovered in a frozen sky, then it gobbled summer down When the sun turns traitor cold And all trees are shivering in a naked row I get the urge for going but I never seem to go I get the urge for going When the meadow grass is turning brown Summertime is falling down and winter is closing in I had me a man in summertime He had summer-colored skin And not another girl in town My darling's heart could win But when the leaves fell on the ground And bully winds came around pushed them face down in the snow He got the urge for going and I had to let him go He got the urge for going When the meadow grass was turning brown And summertime was falling down and winter was closing in Now the warriors of winter they gave a cold triumphant shout And all that s

Jimmy

he was just a simple Hoosier growing up amid the cornfields where everything made sense he loved the family cats and dogs in one picture he's looking down at his sweet dog while the others, unsmiling face the camera he would play ball all day sometimes Uncle Boob gave him his first fishing pole he'd sometimes leave a line floating while he went to church later he would discover golf read the whole Bible he didn't miss the snow when they came to Florida his life was simple a room full of books job on the golf course people lived and died there for the love of their game two weeks vacation every year when he'd do another golf and fish adventure then I came along never the woman he deserved watched his mom wished I could be like her beauty and kindness personified she did her duty to God her mind was to leave us before her body as it would be with her son never perfect but so full of love never to die in the middle of h