Skip to main content

Los Angeles

Los Angeles
a mystical land
I'd heard of
mostly in song
film
poetry
then that one day
we were there
gazing through the rain
at the vast expanse
of city far below
stretching away for miles
what is LA but
a surreal place
fashioned of dreams?
As the streetwalker
in Pretty Woman proclaims
"Everyone who comes
to Hollywood
has a dream
What's your dream?"
Indeed
Dream to walk the red carpet
or the red light district
So much about LA
I could not see
as I looked down
from atop the hill
surrounded by
a theater of mountains
yet as I took in the sand,
desert, neighborhoods
and mountains
so unfamiliar to me
stories of LA floated through my head
similar to the Florida I know
yet beyond comparison
in so many ways
Laurel Canyon
a community of
1960s hippie love
the juxtaposition between
crudity, violence and death
the drive-by shootings of
Compton and South Central
to the renaissances of art
blooming in Venice Beach
and the bastions of style
throughout the city
the opulence of Rodeo Drive
Beverly Hills
And I left it all behind
as I continued east
across the nation on I-80
back to Florida
the place where
I am always wont to return
leaving dreams of LA behind

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...