Skip to main content

Day 3 - Beck Diet Solution, Eat Sitting Down

And the Real Beck Dieters too!
The task of the day?  Sit down to eat!  A simple enough concept, but sometimes hard to put into practice, especially if you're in the habit of standing up to eat.  Eating while standing up might be the product of such unhelpful, sabotaging thoughts as these:

  1. I don't have time to eat while sitting down.
  2. It doesn't matter if I just have a few bites on the go.
  3. I'll sit down to eat next time, cross my heart!
  4. I like the freedom to just graze - I don't want to be restricted.
  5. Food eaten while standing up contains no calories.
  6. It doesn't matter if I just ate some celery or carrots while standing up - my diet allows me to eat as much of them as I want.
Using the Beck method, we contradict these Sabotaging Thoughts right back - here's a few examples, you can customize your own:
  1. I make time for doctor's visits, picking up prescriptions, taking medicines, and doing treatments, don't I?  This is no less important.  I'm going to look at how I spend my time and reorganize it to make sure I take the time to eat sitting down.
  2. I know full well that every calorie counts.  I'm not going to kid myself.
  3. This time I might have only eaten vegetables standing up.  But it's the behavior which I need to change.  I need to make sitting down to eat a habit.  If I keep the habit of standing up to eat, eventually it won't be just vegetables, it'll be bars of chocolate.
  4. That "next time" where you sit down to eat may never come, unless you do it now!
  5. I have to choose my "hard."  Which "hard" do I want - the burden of restricting myself so I don't walk around mindlessly grazing, or the burden of carrying the extra weight and possibly never fulfilling my "whys"?
You might also ask why it's so important to eat sitting down.  Beck focuses on the concept of "mindful eating," which will be discussed in more detail later.  The point is that we want to be aware of and appreciate every bite that enters our mouths.  To diet successfully, we have to do away with the mindless eating, where we don't hold ourselves accountable for what enters our bodies, think that what we eat doesn't matter, and end up gorging ourselves before we feel satisfied.  Beck is training us to be satisfied with a reasonable, healthy diet, and a crucial component of that is to eat sitting down, where we are more aware and mindful about what we are eating, and thus become more satisfied by our allowed portions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...