Skip to main content

Day 20 - Beck Diet Solution, Get Back On Track



Darin via Flickr

It happens from time to time – we eat something we’re not supposed to.  An unplanned hamburger, piece of pizza, cake, pie, bowl of ice cream?  Not the end of the world, no one’s perfect.  But how can we put the mistake in perspective so that we don’t freak out and just eat whatever we want for the rest of the day or even longer?

1.    Acknowledge the mistake. As early as possible, own up to the fact you slipped.  Don’t beat yourself up – just say something along the lines of “Ok, so I made a mistake and ate something I wasn’t supposed to.  But if I stop eating now, I won’t gain weight just from this one mistake.”
2.    Recommit yourself.  Re-read this chapter of the book, as well as other parts of the book that will help you refocus.
3.    Draw a symbolic line.  Say “this is where I stop this unplanned eating, right now,” and mark it by getting busy on an activity from your Distractions Chart.
4.    Find ways to give yourself credit.  If at any point you still want to keep eating but you stop, you deserve credit for that!  Don’t feel like a failure – we’re only human after all.  Give yourself some slack.
5.    Don’t succumb to thoughts of failure and hopelessness.  We’re not perfect – we all agree on that, right?  That being said, we’ll make mistakes from time to time on our weight loss journey.  (A good saying I saw in someone’s WW siggie, “if you blow out one tire of your car, would you go and slash the other four tires?”)
6.    Eat normally from here.  Don’t go thinking you have to make up for this by eating nothing for the rest of the day or exercising like crazy.  You don’t have to punish yourself.  Just resume your regular plan.
7.    Learn from your mistake.  Conduct an After Eating Review (AER) and look at what precipitated the mistake.  Maybe you were stressed out, ran into an unexpected trigger, was around a food pusher, wanted to eat like others, etc.  You can talk about this with your diet coach or make new response cards to talk back to any STs involved.

Again, mistakes happen – in weight loss plans just as in general life.  But also put the slip in perspective by looking at how many calories were involved in that mistake – maybe 500?  Remember that to gain even one pound, you have to take in 3,500 calories.  So you won’t gain weight from a 500-calorie mistake.  Don’t go on to let it become a 1,000, 2,000 or even 3,500 calorie mistake.  Draw that line in the sand and stop right now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...