Skip to main content

Day 24 - Beck Diet Solution, Deal With Discouragement


When we first start our weight loss plans, it’s normal to be riding high and have lots of motivation; it’s also normal for that initial boost of motivation to dwindle, giving way to discouragement.  Discouraging thoughts of “I’ll never be able to keep this up,” “I don’t want to do this anymore,” “This is too hard,” etc. may begin to creep in.

When we think that our weight loss plans are so hard that they aren’t worth it anymore, BDS has some ways to fight back.  It’s often easier to think of the tough times than the good.  Add up the total minutes/hours that you were having a hard time sticking to your plan out of the total 164 hours of the past week.  Many BDS clients found they had only struggled between 20 minutes and a few hours over the whole week and during the rest of the hours they hadn’t even thought about their plans.

Also, anyone who has ever faced a long-term goal knows all about discouragement.  Just because we hit a few rough patches, that’s no reason to give up.  Read your Advantages Response Card more often – this is also a good time to revise it and add advantages you hadn’t thought of before.  Also don’t think too far ahead.  Don’t think about how long you’re going to be on this weight loss plan.  Just think about what you can do to succeed today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...