Skip to main content

Day 26 - Beck Diet Solution, Recognize Thinking Mistakes



Common Thinking Errors

1.     All Or Nothing Thinking

You see things only in absolutes – as if things are only black or white when really there are shades of grey.
Examples:
·       I’m either 100% on a diet or not on one at all.
·       I have to follow my plan perfectly, otherwise I’m a failure.

2.     Negative Fortune Telling

You assume that future events will turn out negatively without considering other possibilities.
Examples:
·       I didn’t lose weight or gained weight this week – I’ll never lose weight this way.
·       I gave into that craving – I have no chance of ever resisting them!

3.     Overly Positive Fortune Telling
You assume that future events will only be positive without considering other possibilities.
Examples:
·       I’ll just eat a little bit of this food, then I’ll be satisfied enough to stop.
·       I don’t have to measure my food – I’ll just eyeball it, I’ll still lose weight anyway.

4.     Emotional Reasoning
You believe your ideas and feelings must be correct and valid even though there’s solid evidence to the contrary.
Examples:
·       I fell off the wagon – I’m such a complete failure.
·       I have to satisfy my craving for something sweet.

5.     Mind Reading
Even without having evidence or reasonable information, you’re sure you know what others are thinking.
Examples:
·       People will think I’m weird if I don’t join them in drinks.
·       My boss won’t like it if I don’t eat what he ordered for the office.

6.     Self-Deluding Thinking
You come up with thoughts to give yourself permission to do things you wouldn’t do at other times.
Examples:
·       It doesn’t matter if I eat this, no one can see me.
·       It doesn’t matter if I give in to this craving.
7.     Unhelpful Rules
You force yourself to take certain actions without taking relevant circumstances into consideration.
Examples:
·       It’s wrong to waste food.
·       It’s wrong to do all this running and exercise when I should be spending this time with my family.

8.     Justification
You give yourself permission to eat by linking two unrelated ideas or facts.
Examples:
·       I deserve to eat this because I’m stressed out/bored/sad…
·       It would be crazy to pass up free food.

9.     Exaggerated Thinking
You make a situation seem greater or worse than it really is.
Examples:
·       I can’t stand this craving.
·       It’s pure punishment to be on this diet.

Now, take your list of sabotaging thoughts you wrote down yesterday.  Match the applicable thinking mistake(s) to each sabotaging thought.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...