Skip to main content

Day 28 - Beck Diet Solution, Get Ready to Weigh In


Today we work on further improving our relationship with the scale.  The day before whatever your appointed weigh-in day is, work on your mindset and prepare yourself for positively facing facts, whatever those facts may be.  Don’t try to deprive yourself or go to other extreme measures the day before just to artificially improve the reading.

Then the time comes to step on the scale, and there are three possible outcomes:

1.     You lost what you consider to be a lot of weight.
2.     You lost what you consider to be not enough weight.
3.     Your weight stays the same or you gained.

You might have any number of reactions to these three scenarios, possibly negative reactions to the second two, which could generate dangerous sabotaging thoughts.  But the scale is an important weight tool, one that we could welcome into our routine instead of dread.  To make sure we look at the scale with the proper perspective, no matter what it says, BDS suggests we approach the three scenarios as follows.

1.     Ok, so you lost a lot of weight this week?  You might think, “Wow, this is fantastic – I’ll be at my goal in no time!”  Slow down, tiger.  No doubt it is great you lost that much weight and you clearly did a fantastic job staying on plan this week.  But don’t expect to see that much of a loss every week.  By continuing to expect your weight to be +- ½ - 2 lbs from what it was last week, you keep your expectations realistic.

2.     So maybe you lost weight this week, but you feel like it was only a drop in the bucket – too little to matter at all.  It may feel like even more of an affront if you feel like you worked especially hard and deserved to see a much bigger loss.  Patience.  What you’ve been doing is working, and any downward trend is good.  Celebrate every half pound loss.

3.     Maybe your weight stayed the same or you gained weight.  Don’t panic – this can happen even when you stay on plan for a number of biological reasons.  If you made some mistakes, go back over the week and think about what you could have done better.  Stay in problem-solving mode.  If you have a diet coach, you could also ask them for suggestions.

If you approach the scale with the proper attitude, it can be a help to your progress rather than a hindrance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...