Skip to main content

Day 31 - Beck Diet Solution, Decide About Drinking



BDS doesn’t take a position on whether you should or should not drink, saying it’s a personal decision.  What it does provide regarding drinking boils down to four main points:

1.     If you drink, don’t skimp on food to make up for it – this will only make you more hungry later and prone to falling off the wagon;
2.     Plan when and how much you are going to drink;
3.     Know how many calories (or points) are in what you drink; and
4.     Don’t use drinking as an excuse to eat unplanned food.

Remember that alcohol has a lot of calories – 7 calories per gram, almost twice as many as the 4 per gram of protein and carbohydrates.  Ask yourself whether it’s worth it to you to spend those calories on alcohol.  If it is, go ahead – just plan it out like you already do with your food.

You might have sabotaging thoughts such as “I won’t have fun unless I’m drinking” or “The people I’m with will think I’m boring or a goody two-shoes if I don’t drink.”  If what you’re doing isn’t fun without added drinking, maybe the base activity isn’t that fun in the first place and maybe you need to find some new activities.  Same thing with friends who want you to drink too if you’re going to hang out with them.  Maybe you need some new friends, especially if they never want to do anything unless it involves drinking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...