Skip to main content

Day 33 - Beck Diet Solution, Eliminate Emotional Eating


People without weight problems don’t turn to food when they get upset.  BDS teaches us to do the same.  There is nothing wrong with having negative emotions – they are just a sign that there’s a problem.  But we need to handle them without relying on food – otherwise we will just not be able to sustain weight loss over the long term.  Just like hunger, negative emotions are not emergencies.  We can learn to withstand and diffuse them without food ever coming into the picture.

Tomorrow we will learn techniques about how to solve the problem that led to the negative feelings.  But for now here are some ways to find relief from the negative emotions without bringing food into the equation:

·       Call the feeling what it is: a negative emotion and not hunger.  Labeling it as such will help.
·       Remind yourself: NO CHOICE.
·       Think about what will happen if you eat and how you’ll feel then, think about all the times you promised yourself you wouldn’t give in to food and then did, how that felt…is it really worth it to go down that road and add those problems to the one(s) you already have?
·       Read your Advantages Response Card and remind yourself of all the reasons you wanted to lose weight in the first place.
·       Find an activity on your Distraction Activities Chart.  How many have you tried by now and did you rate how effective each one was for you?
·       Drink a low or no-calorie beverage.
·       Practice relaxation techniques like yoga, meditation or taking a long bath.

At first these techniques might be most effective with minor to moderate negative emotions, but the more you practice them the better they will work against more severe emotions.  Just remember that you deserve to be comforted, but food is not the way to go about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...