Skip to main content

Day 34 - Beck Diet Solution, Solve Problems


On Day 27, we learned about the Seven Question Technique.  On that day we learned to use it in fighting back against sabotaging thoughts prompting us to eat.  But the 7QT can actually be used to help solve any problem you’re facing, not just food-related problems.  And this is also good because even if the initial problem is non-food related, the negative emotions from that problem might lead us to turn to food for comfort if we don’t apply other strategies.

No matter what the problem is, ask yourself:

1.     What kind of thinking error could I be making (Review Day 26 to help you figure out the answer to this question).
2.     What evidence is there that this thought might not be true (or not completely true)?
3.     Is there an alternative explanation or another way of viewing this?
4.     What is the most realistic outcome of this situation?
5.     What is the effect of my believing this thought and what could be the effect of changing my thinking?
6.     What would I tell [a close friend or family member] if he/she were in this situation and had this thought?
7.     What should I do now?

See Beck, Judith S. The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think like a Thin Person. Oxmoor House, 2008.

For example, one BDS client was completely worn out at the end of the day after her parental and work responsibilities, and couldn’t bring herself to face the mountain of housework that awaited her every night.  After running through the 7QT, she concluded that she could start with the easiest thing, like a load of laundry, and then call a friend for support.

That being said, there are certainly some situations that are beyond your control – perhaps a serious health condition, a family member’s drinking problem, etc.  The 7QT can certainly help with the negative emotions generated by these problems.  But BDS also encourages us to reach out to others for support about the situations beyond our control.  Other people might have practical ideas as to how you can improve your life, even with problems that aren’t so easily solved.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...