Skip to main content

Day 36 - Beck Diet Solution, BELIEVE IT


As we embark on the final seven days of BDS training, how do we feel about our progress so far?  Maybe you have lost weight, but are having STs like “This isn’t me…I’m just not someone who can really lose weight…the weight will come back…this is just a fluke…if I get happy about my progress I’ll jinx myself…”

Wake up and smell the skinny vanilla latte – this is for real!  The skills and techniques you’ve learned, the skinnier mindset you’re learning, the weight you’ve lost – They Are Not Flukes!  None of your progress happened by magic – it is all because of the hard work you’ve put in, applying new mindsets, exercising new techniques, deciding what’s in your best interest to eat and not eat, pushing your body to new fitness levels...  BELIEVE IT.

If you need some convincing, look back at how you were before you learned any of these techniques.  How often did you eat standing up/eat mindlessly/eat too quickly/plan out your meals/track every single thing you ate/pig out for emotional reasons/throw in the towel after making one slip/etc., etc.

Now make a new card, the Believe It! Card.  Your card, like another successful weight loser, might read like this:

“I’m losing weight because I’ve learned how.  I now know:
1.     What I have to do (plan my eating, eat slowly while sitting down, use anti-craving strategies)
2.   What I have to remind myself (hunger and cravings are never emergencies, NO CHOICE, Oh well)
3.    How to motivate myself (get support, read my Advantages Response Card, give myself credit every day)
4.   How to keep honest (report my weight change to my diet coach weekly)”

You – yes YOU – got this far because your hard work.  This is not resting on your laurels – this is acknowledging a new reality, the reality of your transitioning into a thin mindset and body.  You’re not jinxing yourself or being lulled into a false sense of security, because you have daily checklists that you will continue to follow for a long time, that will help remind you of what you have to do, what you have to remind yourself, how to motivate yourself, and how to keep honest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...