Skip to main content

Jane

There were so many days where Jane was at the top of the world.  

The day she hit the solo perfectly in the band competition junior year, down in Myrtle Beach.  One of the cool girls came up to Jane afterwards and said "Way to have grace under pressure!"

The day she found out she made the varsity team on cross-country, after lagging behind the pack for so long...

Many days at the summer camp, where she was enveloped in hugs, where she heard the sound of her bassoon blending perfectly with the woodwind quintet, when she sat in the CIT lounge with Mike, holding his hand and feeling new tingles all through her body...

The night when she snuck the car to drive over fifty miles to see one of Mike's school concerts, then before he left his lips touched hers for the first time, setting her afire...

Many days and nights where she roamed the college campus with friends, never having known a full social life before - constant knocks on door, phone ringing, girls' nights out, going around town and knocking on the door of everyone they knew, dancing and singing through the dorm basement at 3 am, no alcohol involved...

The day she jumped, first in line, from that C-10 plane to be blown away like a leaf in the wind, then float above the earth for one sublime glorious minute before executing a perfect landing just like she had been taught...

So many days.  Jane had known what it was like to be invincible.  To be surrounded by love.  For life to make perfect sense.  For her to feel that she was right where she needed to be, surrounded by people she couldn't dream of living without.  To feel beautiful, sexy, powerful....like She-Ra!

Many years went by.  Jane grew older.  The only calls she got were from spammers, bill collectors, and occasionally from her dad.  No one came to visit.  Jane's husband died.  Jane discovered that widows are pariahs in and of themselves.  People fear death and loss.  They have to protect what's theirs.  Who wants to hang around a widow who could curse you or be bad luck?

Even so, Jane was still lucky.  If it wasn't for her dad, Jane would be out on the street.  The difference between people sleeping on the cold hard street, sometimes dying there, and sleeping within four walls, in a nice warm bed?  Maybe just one person full of love, or who just cared.  Where was that person in the lives of all these homeless?  Did that person get driven away by alcohol, drugs or abuse?  Or maybe because the street person was just unlikeable?  Or did the street person do nothing at all to deserve it?

Jane, and everyone else, whether on the street or not, were still created human.  Social creatures not made to be alone.  Jane was taught that all she needed was God.  But her soul still cried out for human, earthly companionship.  One day she told someone, "I'm probably the most unlikeable person you will ever meet.  Don't repeat my mistakes.  You need other people in this life."

So Jane sat there in her lonely room.  Jane was mortified to even leave it.  When she looked in the mirror, all she saw was a fat, ugly, old hag.  She had tried to lose weight for years, mostly to have any kind of redeeming social value.  No one liked Jane otherwise.  She had nothing else people wanted.

And still Jane tells herself, "God is all you need.  It's just because you're weak in the flesh that you need or want these things from other people."  So she writes and puts it up for all to see, thinking that even though it's ignored today, someday (even if it's after she's gone) someone will read it and be able to use it.  Maybe they'll say - "This is just what I needed!"  Maybe it will pull them out of a slump.  Maybe stop a downward spiral leading straight to the street.  Maybe Jane did have something to offer after all.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...