Skip to main content

Day 12 - Beck Diet Solution, Practice Hunger Tolerance

This is the day to stare down hunger and realize it’s not the insurmountable foe we think it is.  When it comes to the uncomfortable situations in life, people often find that hunger ranks way behind a multitude of other things.
 How does hunger rank for you?  
The first part of today’s training is to use the book’s Discomfort Scale chart or your journal to think of times you’ve experienced every level of comfort/discomfort.  The left-hand column represents your discomfort level on a scale of 0 – 10, where 0 = no discomfort and 10 = the worst discomfort you’ve ever had.  Now in the right-hand column, write down a number of situations which correspond with the discomfort levels.  For one client, 0 = relaxing in front of the TV after dinner, 3 = a job interview, 5 = waiting for a medical test, 8 = root canal surgery and 10 = broken leg.
This exercise will help you prepare for and withstand the next exercise, where you deliberately experience hunger.  On this day (it could be today or another that works better, like when you’ll be very busy), eat breakfast, then nothing else until 6 p.m.  Dr. Beck cautions you not to do this exercise if you have certain medical conditions.
You’ll also use a Hunger Discomfort Chart to monitor your hunger/discomfort levels.  Starting at noon, write both your current discomfort level and range of discomfort in the last hour.  Repeat this process every hour until 6 p.m.
At the end of the exercise, many people were pleasantly surprised to find that the hunger was not as bad as they thought it would be, that they were able to tolerate it and that hunger ranks far behind plenty of other uncomfortable things in life.  Doing this exercise gives you a powerful tool to add to your arsenal in your weight loss quest.  The skill you learn here could even be akin to a super-power.  The foe of hunger, once so intimidating and insurmountable, is cut down to size and we see it’s not big and bad after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...