Skip to main content

Day 13 - Beck Diet Solution, Overcome Cravings

Alex Iwashyna via Flickr
Following the theme of the last few days, today we expand on what we’ve learned about experiencing and withstanding discomfort to beat another weight-loss saboteur: cravings.  We all know the drill of giving in to cravings.  First, we feel that sharp, nagging urge to eat.  Sometimes we don’t even fight it at all.  Other times we may try to fight that craving but the craving is stronger.  So the craving wins and we get up and eat, usually far too much.  

It doesn’t have to go like this however, and Beck encourages us that even though we may feel intense cravings in the first weeks of our weight loss plan, these cravings will soon diminish and not be so daunting – as long as we keep increasing our resistance muscle and not giving in to the cravings.
Start by definitively deciding you are not going to give in to the craving.  Don’t give yourself a choice to eat.  This concept is expanded on when we get to the NO CHOICE chapter.  But for now, we also examine the actual sensations of the craving as we did with hunger, review our entire arsenal of weapons against cravings, and choose the most effective ones.
The next time you experience a craving, use the Cravings Rating Chart to ask the following questions: 1) Date/time of the craving, 2) How uncomfortable did the craving get on my discomfort scale (0-10), and 3) What anti-craving strategies did I employ?
Beck told us on Day 11 that if it’s been anywhere from 20 minutes to 3 hours since we ate a reasonable meal, then any urge to eat is probably just a desire or craving, not hunger.  Fight back against these urges by also doing the following:
  • Call the feeling what it is – a craving.  That will help you fight it better.
  • Stand firm, reminding yourself how much you want to strengthen your resistance muscle, not your giving-in muscle.
  • NO CHOICE – tell yourself eating is not an option.
  • Visualize the entire process of what will happen if you give in to the craving – don’t just stop at how good you think it will feel if you eat.  Also see the aftermath – feeling engorged, weighed-down, feeling guilty, defeated, out-of-control…maybe even throwing in the towel, letting your STs get the better of you, eating more and more and getting further away from your weight loss goal.  How good does that food seem now?
  • Vote with your feet – remove yourself from the situation and get away from the food.
  • Drink a no/low calorie beverage.  Water, diet soda, or something hot which can make you feel full again, like coffee or better yet, tea.
  • Relax.  One way to do this is with deep breathing techniques.  Or you can investigate other relaxation strategies.
  • Distract yourself with some activity or task, like getting started on a work project, taking the dog for a walk, calling someone, and so on.
The book also gives you a Distraction Activities Chart, saying that some activities like watching TV or reading just don’t cut it to get your mind off eating.  In the left-hand column of the chart, list all the distraction activities you can think of, then in the right-hand column list their effectiveness on a scale of 0-10 after you’ve tried them.  Make a note of the most effective ones in your journal.  Again, cravings may seem formidable at first, but as we get in the habit of employing these techniques to fight them, we see the cravings aren’t so insurmountable after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...