Skip to main content

Day 42 - Beck Diet Solution, Practice, Practice, Practice

Some people say that “practice makes perfect.”  That may be true with some things, like practicing a musical piece until it can be played perfectly.  But in weight loss we’re not aiming for perfection, because everybody slips up sometimes and that’s normal and human.  Maybe the better saying for BDS is “practice makes automatic.”  That’s what we’re really aiming for – to think like thin people, and to do it automatically.

In the Army once, when we were in the middle of a 12-mile road march, everybody was starving and we were standing in the pouring rain, one of the drill sergeants encouraged us “This can only last so long.”  True with everything, isn’t it?  You’ll hit rough patches in your weight loss journey, where you’ll question all your accomplishments and whether it’s worth it to continue.  Suck it up and drive on.  Everything is temporary and this transient wave of difficulty will soon wash away.

Keep reviewing and practicing the core skills we have learned over these past 6 weeks.  Build on them.  Make new response cards and checklists that better fit the changing you.  Take up new hobbies and pursuits to support your goals, like studying yoga or meditation to help with relaxation and stress reduction.  Keep learning and developing yourself towards skinny thinking and living.


For honing on your best goal weight and maintaining that weight, read the next two chapters of BDS.  There may well be a difference between the weight you think you’d like to be and your Lowest Achievable Weight, the weight at which you naturally plateau.  The book gives you further tips and suggestions on how to decide whether to stop at your plateau weight or to keep going lower.  The book also gives you pointers on how to stay at the goal weight you’ve chosen. 
Dr. Beck encourages us to get in touch with her and let her know what strategies and tips we have that weren’t included in this book, and also wishes us the best of luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Goals: Why Even Bother?

Sometimes the question is not "Why do I want to accomplish this goal"?  Sometimes it's more like "Why shouldn't I just do whatever I feel like doing? Why do I want to bother myself with goals when I could just be relaxing instead?" You might then ask yourself, if I forget the goal what do I miss out on?  Am I ok with that?  Will I have regrets one day?  Which will cause me more stress - abandoning the goal or following through on it? What will my life look like next week, next month, next year if I do/don't accomplish the goal?  Sometimes when it's the desire for accomplishment that falters, it's the fear of loss that keeps you going. 

The Ogre

By Joseph Jacobs John Dickson Batten [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons Shelley and I were friends almost immediately.  However her father did not like me.  The only reason I can imagine is that my family was too poor for him and that he did not consider me fit to be around his daughter.  Despite how her father felt about me, the moments when he was away at work as a lawyer, and when Shelley and I were together were the thrill of my life.  We did everything for fun, it seemed like there was nothing we couldn't do, no fun that we couldn't have.    Her house was an entire wonderland within itself.  An enormous granite-walled mansion, there were four floors of enchanting adventure for us.  The first floor held a kitchen where we made all kinds of goodies, an adjacent playroom where we played house, Barbie, watched "It's A Living," "Silver Spoons," "Small Wonder," "Dukes of Hazzard," "Laverne & Shirley," two mag...

If

If "If I were an older man and met a younger woman I would have just wanted to be her friend I wouldn't have wanted to ruin her life" a haze of shock confusion and hurt descended upon her had it all been a mistake when they first met he even told her she should dance with the younger guys and because she didn't her life was ruined? if she danced with him night after night if his kindness washed over her in healing waves if he told her she wasn't crazy if he told her there was nothing wrong with her if she knew he would never leave her side if he called her out for being the jackass she was when she talked about giving up throwing all her dreams away believing the lies if he fulfilled every last vow if he should have been long gone but never quit her if he could always crack her up if that wacky humor still lived on through the Parkinson's if she knew the disease might take his body but never touch his love that none other could ever match if that's a rui...